Shopping: If you see it, and want it, buy it ! Because if its sold it won't necessarily get replaced on the shelf. I purchased a pair of winter boots for half price in April. The shoe that you see on the shelf, that's your size, is the one you buy. They don't stock a particular style of shoe in several sizes. Probably went to 10-shoe stores before I found a shoe in my size on the shelf (I take a 45 shoe size). Some food products are the same; if it gets sold out it may not get restocked. For another example, some audio cables in the Branch were broken, and I went to an Electrical Store to purchase a soldering iron and solder. The store had 6-different soldering irons. Only one iron came with solder which I purchased. The store sold the irons but not the solder. I asked where I could buy the solder, they said they did not know. A good thing is that for every electrical purchase you make, the box is opened in front of you so that you can see that you get what you purchased before you take it out of the store. Also, light bulbs are tested right in front of you to make sure they work before you pay for it.
Step-Down Voltage Transformers: The voltage in Russia, and probably in Asia, is 50 Hertz at 220 Volts AC. In the States its 60 Hertz, at 120 Volts AC. Therefore you need a 220/120 VAC step-down transformer that's good for 50/60 Hertz.

Yet even with an appropriate sized step-down transformer transformer we fried Sister Moleff's hair dryer. Also the wall plugs are different. I would suggest that electrical products be purchased in the Country that you will be a missionary in. It will also lighten luggage weight. The electrical and computer stores did not sell step-down transformers, nor did they know where one could be purchased. Bring several 150 watt step down transformers with you if want to stay with American plugs.
Wall Sockets and Plugs:
The above picture is of a wall socket that is found in Russia and Spain. I don't know yet what other countries. It takes a 2-prong plug without a ground like the one shown below on the curling iron.

The next photo shows the needed extension that you have to put on the step down transformer so that it will fit into the deep socket. You will need several extensions for the different items you have to plug into the deep sockets.

The laptop computer power supply is rated for 120/220 volts and can be plugged right into the 220 volt socket but takes 2-adapter extensions as shown below. One adapter extension is shown on the plug, the other is shown in the socket. The rectangular black object At the top of the photo is the laptop step-down transformer that can be plugged directly into the 220 VAC.
Water Supply Filter System: A typical water filter system is shown in the photograph below.
The water filtration system is package unit that consists of 3-filters, with each filter changed at various specific intervals. The discharge unit is connected directly to the kitchen sink spigot with no modifications to the plumbing necessary. I understand that the Church uses this water filtering system throughout the world. Quite ingenious. Might use one in Prosser.
All in all, we find what we want and the people are nice to us. I have found a dry cleaners and the lady knows me from sight and gives me my dry cleaning without me presenting the receipt; and they do a good job.
2 comments:
What funny things that I would NEVER even think about! I didn't know you had a blog but it's great to hear how you guys are doing! Well wishes from the HOT city of Prosser. :)
It's great to hear about your adventures! I hope the missionary work is going well.
Things in Prosser as the same as usual. We finally have nice hot weather, it's 88 degrees today.
Post a Comment